yellow bullets America’s Leading Source for Government Certified Vital Records

American Citizens Born Abroad Premium Service

Birth Records Information for US Citizens Born Abroad

For American citizens born abroad, obtaining a copy of your birth record is not always as easy as it is for citizens born inside the US. A birth record for US citizens born abroad is called a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and is issued by the Federal Government instead of an individual State.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (or CRBA) is the equivalent of a certified birth certificate, and can typically be used for legal purposes including applying for a passport or for proof of US citizenship.

Obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be obtained with our quick, easy application along with all required documentation as described on the application.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued by the U.S. State Department. Definitive turnaround times are not available as they are dependent upon volume and workload of State Department personnel. Typically a Consular Report of Birth Abroad may be issued within about four weeks from receipt of completed application and required documentation, but may take longer in certain situations.

However, all requests placed through VitalChek’s express certificate service are processed by VitalChek on an expedited priority basis, to ensure your application is submitted to the U.S. State Department as quickly as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All requests submitted through VitalChek’s express certificate service for Consular Report of Birth Abroad Records must:
  • be notarized by a certified notary, and
  • include a photocopy of valid government-issued photo identification
  • be placed by the certificate holder (child name on certificate) that is over 18. If the certificate holder is under 18, a parent is allowed to order.
Click here to display and print the Request For Consular Report of Birth Abroad form (PDF).
If you encounter issues when opening this form, please open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Send the completed, notarized forms, along with the valid government-issued photo identification copy, to:
Passport Services
VitalChek Network, Inc.
PO Box 222130
El Paso, TX 79913

Since 1987, VitalChek has been the official, government-authorized direct connection between US citizens and the government agencies issuing vital records across the nation, including certified copies of birth certificates, death certificates, marriage records and divorce records.